Parts of the Application
Here is what we need for your application to be considered complete. In order to meet our deadlines, all application materials must be either received in our office or postmarked by the specified date. Remember, we can’t review your application and make a decision until all parts of the application have been received.
Once you’ve applied, you’ll receive information about how to check the status of your application — and you’ll be able to see if anything is missing. Remember, we can’t review your application and make a decision until all parts of the application have been received. We’ll also provide you with your own ID number; please use it whenever you communicate with our office.
In order to meet our admission deadlines, all application materials must either be received in our office or postmarked by the date specified. Decisions are generally made in three to four weeks once ALL materials have been received.
Here is what we need in order for your application to be considered complete.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS – FOR ALL TRANSFER STUDENTS
- Online application. We do not require an essay. However, you’ll have the option to submit a personal statement in which you can tell the admissions committee anything you think the College should know about you. (Readmit students are required to submit a personal statement). If you can’t use our online application, please contact us to make arrangements to apply another way.
- $50 application fee. You will pay this fee when you submit the online application.
- Official college/university transcripts from each school you’ve attended. Use our transcript request form to request your transcripts. If you are applying for the spring semester, we encourage you to submit a mid-term grades request form to expedite the admissions decision.
You can submit your transcripts and mid-term grade reports:
By FAX - 843.953.6322
Or by mail to:
College of Charleston
Office of Admissions and Adult Student Services
66 George Street
Charleston, S.C. 29424-0001
REQUIRED FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS WITH FEWER THAN THAN 30 HOURS OF CREDIT
- Secondary school report. Your high school guidance counselor must complete a secondary school report for you. If you include your guidance counselor’s e-mail address in your online application, they will be able to complete this report online (we prefer this method).
- High school transcripts from each high school you attended.
- Standardized test scores. Either the SAT (math and critical reading sections only) or the ACT is required. We do not require the SAT subject tests, and do not consider the writing section of the SAT. Be sure to send us all your scores – if you took a test more than once we’ll consider the highest score from each section in all of your exams. Official scores should be sent directly from the testing service. The College of Charleston's code for the SAT is 5113 and for the ACT is 3846.
REQUIRED FOR READMIT STUDENTS
- Personal statement. Use the personal statement in the online application to let us know about your activities since you left the College of Charleston, and why you want to return.
OPTIONAL APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Letters of recommendation are not required. If you want to submit letters of recommendation, please send no more than two. Use “Recommendation Letter” in the subject line. Be sure to include your full name, birth date, and College of Charleston ID number, if you know it.
- Interviews. If you would like, you can set up an appointment to speak with a transfer counselor during your campus visit. or set up a pre-admission meeting in person, by phone (843.953.5670), or by e-mail.
- Résumés, activity sheets, any other supplemental information. You can e-mail anything else you want us to consider. Be sure to include your full name, birth date, and College of Charleston ID number, if you know it.
- Arts submissions and auditions. We do not require arts submissions or auditions for admissions, and there is no separate application for the School of the Arts. However, there are some departmental scholarships available that require auditions or portfolio reviews. Review the scholarship details to see what is required.
HONORS COLLEGE APPLICATION
The Honors College requires a separate application. When you submit your transfer admissions application online, you will indicate that you want to apply the Honors College. You will receive a link to the online Honors College application. Or, if you prefer, you can download an application from their website. Honors College applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation and an essay.
Residency for tuition purposes is determined when you submit your application. If you indicate that you are a South Carolina resident on your application, but we cannot make that determination based on the information you submit, you will work with our legal residency office. We’ll let you know if this happens.